Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Words for Wednesday, 'El Shaddai', from the Archives







































When I was in the 4th grade, I read a book by Louisa May Alcott, called 'An Old Fashioned Girl'. Somewhat fitting, as I have mentioned that on occasion, I think I may have been born in the wrong era, as my love for antiques and Victorian houses (all things old), is very much part of who I am. We wrote book reports, many book reports. The book reports always had covers with drawings. My material of choice at the time was Craypas, or oil pastels. You could layer them and then make designs by scratching off the top layer. Anywho, jumping ahead quite a few years, with lots of training in Fine Arts, college behind me, I painted/drew this poster for an off Broadway production called 'El Shaddai'. It was a beautifully written musical about the life of Daniel. I thought the best way to go, was to copy Michelangelo's 'Daniel' from the Sistine Chapel. I fell completely in-love with Daniel!! He is painted/drawn in mixed media,; watercolor, pastel, pastel pencil, colored pencil, just about everything BUT Craypas. I couldn't help but put these two pictures together, because they're both a part of me. An old fashioned girl, with faith. Prayerfully, if ever I wind up in the lions den, I'll be just fine....eyes and heart set like a flint toward heaven....

5 comments:

Kim said...

what a wonderful story and your artworks are both fabulous Amy :)
I loved Louisa May Alcott's books!!
ha ha ..I know what you mean about being born in the wrong century ;)
ahhh and now I know where your inspiration came from for your son's name...lovely :)

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Hello my Kim...I have been in NY w/ Mom since Wednesday, and did my UTMOST to stay away from the computer...it was great just being in NY, w/ her...I kept it very hush hush, so I could really quietly go about my day w/ her and her friends...we saw a couple of cousins and my Aunt...

Daniel stole my very heart...(I posted this last year in May, but for lack of material @ the moment and I was headed out of town...) copying ANYTHING Michaelangelo is a challenge...but, I so loved this project...isn't the book report cover funny...my oh my...I adored my 4th grade teacher... and, yes, the things of old, the time, the craftsmanship, the details...ahhhhhh...we're much too independent you and I...we probably would have been in hot water all the time!!!!...:))))

Mark Alan Meader said...

Such an interesting comparison between the two different "eras" of your work. The younger one already shows so much talent and I have to admit that I am partial to children's artwork..I love the simple, but sometimes very clever, observation that they exhibit, without the conventions that we learn as we get older. Of course the poster is very well done too, in an adult way:)

Henson Ray said...

Love them. Great job!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Mark, I wish I had more artwork from my childhood...I'm going to have to dig thru some boxes...there was no pressure, just draw and paint for the joy of it...retaining that childlike freedom is what we all strive for as artists...I really did love painting Daniel...it was a great project!!

Henson!!! Thank you...big :))))