Sunday, January 16, 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr.

When thinking about Martin Luther King Day, my first thought is what can I write that would be relevant to mark and honor him, his legacy and all things, which were set into motion by the life and death of this great man.

Years ago, I was asked to hand-ink the Hebrew scripture 'Thou shalt not stand idly by...' from the book of Leviticus. It seems to be fitting in every area of our lives where even the smallest gesture of kindness, to the heroism we saw just last week in Tuscon, can change the life of another, even save a life, when we 'stand not idly by'. These words, this scripture, I learned while dong some research for this post, are the personal mantra and commandment to Elie Wiesel, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Holocaust survivor, and human rights activist.

So, I share this with you today as we remember and honor a voice, a man, who was crying out in the wilderness...

'I have a dream today...'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. It is so much easier to just stand aside, whether it be for non-engagement, for false non-judgment, or whatever, than stand up and matter in the cause for freedom, honesty and justice.

Azure Accessories said...

I wonder what our world would be like if Martin Luther King had lived...he was a man of honor and conviction!
I don't watch TV during the day but I watched Oprah yesterday...she did a post on "race", past and present and used a number of Martin Luther King's quotes, the man had a wonderful mind...it was a great show!
Love the post Amy...
Cheers

Amy Lilley Designs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Lilley Designs said...

Yomama, Im so lad that you stopped by and left a comment. I think that MLK was one of our great great Americans...I have always had very strong feelings for civil rights..freedom, honesty and justice...

Heather, I did catch the show as well and it was interesting to see that w/in the years she has been doing shows about 'race', many of those people had really changed...I thought it was well put together...yes, for his 39 short years we still very much feel the ripple...can we imagine the tidal wave had he lived???

Secondary Roads said...

It is not the length but the quality of the life that matters. We should all heed that command. There is an award for you today on my blog.