Friday, September 2, 2011

The Aftermath of Irene...

My grand experiment of wrapping the garden helped, but was no match for Irene...
During Irene's worst...here...
Ouch....
The South winds, sustained @ 35-45 mph, did her deed...
A 'leaner' garden, but still standing...after hours and hours of untangling!!
Look who I found, while working in the garden!!!
One of the many many many downed trees..
A spot on the water, I called 'Peaceful View', before..
Peaceful view, after...broke my heart...

Irene left her calling card up and down the East Coast last week. I prepared for days getting 'ready', for 'who knew what'. Many are still without power, we lost ours for 3 days and were prepared, mentally, to go the long haul. Thankfully, our power was restored on Wednesday. It was quite a moment!!! I went around the house at 4:30 in the morning testing all the lights, turning on the stove, checking my computer to make sure everything was really lighting up!! It was not until later that morning, when I turned on my computer, that I saw the pictures of the devastation Irene left in her wake, and my heart broke. For us, (thankfully) the only thing that took a hit was my garden, and that could be salvaged. Many others lost everything. Just think if Irene had been a category 1 or 2 hurricane. I shudder. I might add, that the radio was my salvation during the storm. The Providence TV stations made the wise decision to partner with a couple of local radio stations. Needless to say, their diligent reporting was a serious life line. So thank you Fred Campagna, for keeping us informed during Irene and well into this week (and for being such a mensch). Here are just a few photos, before, a little during and after.

No comments: