Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Behold Man


Prismacolor pencil drawing...
Lennart Nilsson's photo
National Geographic photo of a dolphin in the womb...
 I copied this drawing years ago (prismacolor pencils) from a book called 'Behold Man', with many of the same images in 'A Child is Born' by Lennart Nilsson. For years upon years I turned the drawing sideways (just so you could see it better) until I actually gave birth, then realized I had been wrong. The drawing, and needless to say, the photo, was correct and in the 'launch position'. Lennart Nilsson, born in Strängnäs in 1922, is a pioneer in medical photography. In association with researchers and with the help of advanced, specially designed equipment, he has documented the inside of man down to the level of a cell. Throughout the years, he has devoted special attention to capturing the creation of a human being, from conception to birth. This amazing photo of an embryonic dolphin was taken using a combination of three-dimensional ultrasound scans, computer graphics and tiny cameras, no doubt with Lennart Nilsson's inspiration to 'get in there'!! (Image from the National Geographic Documentary “Extraordinary Animals in the Womb”). It is not just a beautiful sunset which has given me pause over the years....

 'I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knows right well.'  
Psalm 139:14



No comments: