Friday, September 25, 2015

New Wheels, Old School, Very...

So, the outdoor pool @ Lifetime Fitness closed on Labor Day. I got a migraine. It was just too soon as it is still so hot here. A gifted reprieve arrived when our little community extended the pool closing until September 20th. I felt better, I could swim and then 'end' the swimming more on my own terms. I am positive that I will not swim during the winter. The indoor lap lanes are in a dark spot, it is very uninviting. I have been eyeing this bicycle. My thought is, I am not racing anywhere, I am not wearing a helmet, I am not putting on a biking 'outfit'. I truly admire the people who do all these things, especially after my virgin voyage today. That said, I am going enjoy the Autumn on my new wheels, I am going to enjoy the walking/bike path from this new vantage point, I am probably going to squish grasshoppers, much to my chagrin. The bike is a Huffy, 26", no gears except, 'pedal' from me. When we picked it up @ the store it was mis-marked @ a lower price, so we had to wait to get everything straightened out, in my favor. It immediately became a conversation piece, as it is really, very pretty. My days of riding my 10 speed, early Sunday mornings from the Village up to Central Park are long behind me, but I do love to pedal. 

As I mentioned, it has been hotter than 'normal' for this time of year and these past few days have been crystal clear, barely a cloud in the sky. I waited until about 2:30. I had my perfect outfit picked out, very important. It worked. I packed the little basket w/ the essentials, fluids, cheese and crackers, Himalayan salt crystals, camera, iPhone, flip flops (in case I made it to the lake), a small towel. I started out thinking what I thought after kayaking, I might be paralyzed tomorrow. I was very aware of all the insects  on the walking/bike path who did not stand a chance of living and was just hoping I didn't hurt myself trying to avoid them. There is very little shade in the middle of the day and my breath was short. As well as I did w/ the laps all Summer, this is different. I found myself stopping, looking for a small patch of shade wherever I could, breathless, but in a good way. I never felt lightheaded, which 'up here', is really good. People were very kind along the way. Did I have a flat tire, nope, I said, virgin voyage. Was everything okay, yup, virgin voyage. Need some help, from one guy, nope, virgin voyage. But he came back with, good for you, keep it up, a little at a time, you'll get there. Well hallelujah. This is great, this is going to work!! I did not make it to the lake today. But, I was out for about an hour and 1/2. I met some horses, some very nice concerned bikers, smiled @ the walkers, I think I clipped the tail of a small blue snake I saw, rested on our favorite bench, before heading back home. Very very happy w/ my new wheels, old school...very...

I found this web site, 'Scriptures to Ponder While Pedaling.' Who knew???
'In his hand are the depths of the earth;
    the heights of the mountains are his also.
 The sea is his, for he made it,
    and his hands formed the dry land'
                                            Psalm 95:4-5

No comments: