Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cover of New York Magazine, 11/5/2015

This is not photoshopped. This is what Manhattan looked like on Wednesday night, October 31, taken by photographer Iwan Baan, from the mostly darkened downtown to the oasis of light north of 34th Street. Here’s to those who made it through, and to those who continue to volunteer.

Here is a small portion of an e-mail I sent to some friends who live in Israel: I have wanted to sit down and write to you, but have been so caught up w/ Family and the catastrophe on the East Coast....I am SO GLAD that you re-routed and were able to get out when you did, as so much of NJ, NY, CT...coast lines, infrastructures are totally decimated..Stated Island, Rockaway, Queens...thousands upon thousand of people have NO HOMES, many still w/ no power (the weather is turning colder ever day)...the storm surge was over 14 feet by the Con Ed substation on 14th Street and Manhattan from 39th street DOWN went dark last Sunday night...power is just being restored...Hoboken, where my niece lives was flooded, and she lived in a 1st floor apartment...she and 25,000 were stranded in their apartments for over 3 days (she went to a neighbor on the 3rd floor...and now has a lot of new friends)...she was finally rescued as the National Guard was sent in, and is safe and warm in Connecticut....my 90 year old cousin lives on the 13 floor in Peter Cooper (btw, the East River flooded Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper) and was rescued by 4 firemen who carried her down all those flights and got her to safety w/ her Sister, who lives crosstown and has a generator in their building...and that is just the mere tip of this event...you have probably seen the pictures...these are from Tuesday, Oct. 30...http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/us/hurricane-sandy-photos.html#index.

And now, predictions of a Nor'easter for mid-week...we continue to pray.

2 comments:

Azure Accessories said...

Such a catastrophe!!! There are no words to explain my feelings other than to say,my thoughts and prayers go out to those devastated people, my hope is they come through this stronger than before it happened...yes, I saw photos and news casts...

May your niece and cousins be well Amy...
H

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Such a catastrophe...spoke w/ my Aunt this AM who has been staying w/ her daughter for over 1 week...she JUST got back into her apartment today...my elderly cousin will also be back in her apartment today, my niece won't be able to live in her apartment for months...but is in a temporary apartment...she also attends law school, which has been sorely disrupted...thank you for your warm thoughts...I have to say, I'm so glad that my Mom didn't live to see this...she too would have been w/out power for days upon days...much love...XXXXXXX