|Water reaches the street level of the flooded Battery Park Underpass, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012|
- The Red Cross: If you would like to give to the Red Cross, which has opened more than 190 shelters along the East Coast and has hundreds of disaster relief workers on standby, you can donate online, by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS, or by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10. The Red Cross is also seeking blood and platelet donations. To learn more, visit RedCrossBlood.org.
- AmeriCares: You can donate to AmeriCares’ relief fund to help the organization, which is distributing supplies to 130 clinics in the 13 states affected by Sandy.
- World Vision: Despite flooding at its Bronx, N.Y. warehouse, World Vision is organizing relief efforts. You can text “GIVEUSA” to 777444 to make a $10 donation, or donate online to help..
- International Medical Corps: Another option for donating abroad is the International Medical Corp, who are coordinating efforts in Haiti.
- New York Blood Center: You can donate blood, which will be used to help injured people, as well as hospital blood banks affected by the storm.
Post script: 11/1/2012 My niece, along w/ many many others have been able to get get into their apartments to clean up, out of the apartment buildings now that the water has receded and there is no fear of being electrocuted from downed wires...so many many still in dire need!!