Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Haze...

I never would have understood what a monster they are fighting out West w/ the wildfires, had we not lived through 2 of them here in Colorado. We were here for only 6 months when the Waldo Canyon fire occurred in 2012. I can tell you that when the fires literally exploded over the canyon and took out close to 350 homes in one fell swoop, not to mention the automated phone call we received from Medtronic, the supplier of Edwards' diabetic supplies, reminding us what to take if we needed to evacuate, it was horrifying. Forest fires create their own weather. What they are battling out West has been going on for weeks now, almost 1 month. It is hard to imagine. I am not sure why I was surprised when the wind changed and blew the smoke from the fires East, that we would be so effected here in Colorado. The air has been heavy, the haze so thick and unbelievably so, we could smell the fire. Also, most unexpected, have been the sunsets since the weekend. As a New Yorker, an orange sunset during the hot dog days of summer was not an unusual sight. Here, however, not so much. My camera literally would not register the color orange, and as a result, I got some interesting shots. Last night the wind was so strong I was almost bowled over, and thankfully, I am catching a glimpse of the Rockies this morning. Please, keep the firefighters and the good people out West in your prayers. I have included 1 pic from the Black Forest fire which was taken from Edward's room, literally 1 hour after the fire began...it happened. 

Life marches on, we continue w/ our daily routines. I have been savoring these last days of the outdoor pool being open, and broke my record of 70 laps, to a big, 72 laps yesterday, which is a little over 1 mile!!!

As a post script to last weeks post about the Corpse Flower, 'Stinky' as it was known here, has keeled over and died. No picture necessary!

Saturday, 8/22
Sunday, 8/23
Monday, 8/24, setting...
Monday, 8/24 setting..
Monday, 8/24 setting..
Last night, 8/25..
From Edward's room, literally 1 hour after the Black Forrest fire began, 2013...

'For every beast of the forest is mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
 I know all the birds of the hills,
and all that moves in the field is mine.'
 Psalm 50:10-11

No comments: