Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lily Pads/Lilleypad, Etc.

I named my first Etsy shop, 'Lilleypad'. It helps to come up w/ something relatable, and hopefully, a bit clever. Needless to say, I have a true affinity for the Lily Pad flower. We have had the Botanic Gardens in Denver in the front of our brain, as it has been all over the news here. The infamous 'Corpse Flower', which they have in the gi-normous greenhouse was getting ready to bloom. Interestingly, a relative of the 'Lily Family', the Corpse Flower blooms once every 10 years, for about 2 days, and gives off the odor of a decomposing mammal. Gross, very very very gross. However, yesterday was cool, by Augusts' standards, and we decided that it would be a perfect way to seize the moment by going to the Botanic Gardens. I had a field day taking a boat load of pics, from Queen Anne's Lace, to the Sunflowers, the many many Lily Pads, the gorgeous Solarium (I want to live there!), and of course, the Koi Fish. As it turns out, I read today, that just a few hours after we left the Corpse Flower began to bloom. This was not something I wanted to experience, ever. But, we did see it, and I took some pics, which, somehow, not surprisingly, did not come out. But, I have to thank that strange creation for getting us to the Botanic Garden. What a gift, smack in the middle of Denver!

Post script: People were waiting as long as 3 hours to experience the 'Corpse Flower', and in some cases, were handed barf bags...things that make you go hmmmmmm.....
Koi fish...
Lily pads....
They come in all shapes and sizes!!
The Solarium, I want to live here!
So BEAUTIFUL!!
The bees are alive and well in Denver!!
Queen Anne's Lace, more bees!
From the gift shop!
The Corpse flowering plant...eeeeew
(not my pic)

'The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail.'   
                                                            Isaiah 58:11

No comments: