Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Fare Thee Well Big Kitty...

We said our final good-byes, to Big Kitty, aka, Richie Havens, aka, The Old Man today. He was 18 and almost 1/2, which in human years is around 90. He started failing dramatically these past couple of weeks, and just Monday, 2 days ago, we knew it was time. As in life, death comes in waves, as first thing Monday morning I received an email that Mom's dearest friend from camp had passed away. The wires were burning, our camp wall on Facebook was lighting up all day, it was all day. All the while I was on the phone w/ our Vet to finalize today as we were deeply nuzzled in waiting for the storm. It was a good day to be home. There were allot of people feeling terribly sad on Monday. One of my #favoritepeople posted a song from 'Israel and NewBreed', and I wound up buying the album. I would say, timing is everything. It kept my spirits up. The music will keep my spirits up. (Thank you  #favoritepeople).
The day we brought Big Kitty home...a forever friendship was born..
We got Big Kitty from the North Shore Animal Shelter on Long Island. He was 4 months old, Edward was 8ish. From the minute we brought him home, he was present, he was totally with us. He was one of the best animals I have ever met. He moved with us 5 times, from our apartment in Mt. Vernon, to the 2 houses in Rhode Island and then the 2 houses in Colorado. He was a natural hunter, stalker of mice, moth catcher extra-ordinaire, insect eater, he was very fast. He was totally laid back and was the best snuggle buddy, always with an immediate loud purr. In 2005, I had some outpatient surgery, and he did not leave my side for days. He was the same way with Edward. Ever present during stomach aches, all nighters when not feeling well, and was especially close with Edward's initial diabetes diagnosis. He tolerated The Girl, barely, all these years. Somehow, they worked. I am curious to see how or if she is any different or even cares that he is not here. 

We are so grateful to have had him all these years, and the Vets all said, he was blessed to have us. We are so grateful that the process was quick and peaceful. I know Edward and I are both going to 'think we see him', probably for a while. 18 and almost 1/2 years was a great run for The Old Man. We are so grateful...
Mt. Vernon...
Rhode Island, the Big house..
Colorado Springs...
On his 18th birthday...
Always in our hearts, Big Kitty, aka, Richie Havens, aka, The Old Man.

A special thank you to everyone at The Aurora Animal Hospital, for your gentleness, your compassion, your thoroughness, overall care  and time, not just for our 4 legged loved ones, but for Us.
We are so grateful....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you AMY !
A heart felt tribute to a joyous gift, farewell Big Kitty.
MS-Musey-(PP)

WillOaks Studio said...

Again, my thoughts & best wishes are with you & your family, Amy. Seeing the years worth of photos, such a beautiful cat & such a natural part of your family, I'm grieving with you. BTW, he sure looked distinguished with the gray mane! Peace!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Love you back Ms. Muse...my face is still so sad today😥😥😥

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Thank you Karen🌠 I think, even w/ all the sadness, we are so grateful that he simply failed @ the end, and was not hit by a car or did not have a terrible disease, but like I said to Ms. Muse, my face is still so so sad...keeping my eye on The Girl, and yes, he did look so distinguished...it was fitting, he was so good💔😻💔😻💔

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful, glorious tribute to him....thank you, as always, for sharing your heart. Wishing you peace, and sending you all my love....

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Thank you Eileen , so much🌿🍃🌿 peace is returning and we (Edward and I) are receiving all that love💗💗💗