Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Scout...

Scout. She is our new 4-legged Family member. We adopted her on August 6th from Dumb Friends League in Denver. She was 11 weeks old, tiny tiny tiny. She was the only kitten we looked at that day. The Girl had been gone since late May, and I was just not happy being without a cat/kitten. I was ready even though the house was clean as a whistle, I was sorely missing a having feline around. The Boys were on board.
I don't understand it, I have seen it often on social media: 'Help me to name my baby, help me to name my dog or cat or my mascot.' On occasion, I would throw out the name of Scout, although it was never chosen. So, even before we brought her home, (certainly, Scout would have worked for a male as well) she had a name. And, YES, I named her after the character of the 6 year old, 'Scout' from Harper Lee's remarkable book published in 1960, and in 1962, the equally remarkable movie, To Kill a Mockingbird. I even watched the movie again on Netflix, to remind myself why Scout was so stuck in my heart, and fell in-love once more with the innocence of a little girl who did not see the color of people's skin, but was able to see straight to a persons soul. So, her name, Scout, was officially sealed!!
This little kitty grew SO FAST, I call her, Miss Scout, the giant kitten. I am so so so glad to have these pics of her because now, she is 6 months old, still very much a kitten, but just really big! I forgot. I forgot what it was like to have a kitten, a baby animal in the house. At one point during that first week, I was so exhausted, I handed her over to Edward and said, here, YOU play with her. She was coming out of the gate at a thousand miles an hour and then falling into that deep 'kitten sleep!'
She is fearless, sweet, funny, very outgoing, a hunter/stalker, physically very strong. She has developed a different relationship with each of us, which is makes sense. She also filled a space in my heart, our hearts, which was missing. In many many ways we are still getting to know her, and she, us, but like any long term relationship, it's just going to unfold naturally as we go! So, Scout, the giant kitten, in the house!!!!!
Who knows, she may need a little feline friend to play with...to be continued..

No comments: