Wednesday, August 12, 2015

So, There Was This Funnel Cloud... and Then Some Pesto!

We were driving back from Denver around 3:30ish yesterday, the storm clouds were most definitely getting ready to spill. I looked to my right, and I said to Jimmy, 'Is that, could it be, holy ****, really?????, ****, ****, ***'. I had my iPhone and camera w/ me, as I do @ all times. The thing is, seeing a funnel cloud, which you can literally see change second by second, is really scary!! It is hard to explain, like the wild fires here in Colorado. Having never experienced living through 1 wild fire, let alone 2 (#listentosmokeythebear), and having never seen a funnel cloud, in person (thankfully), until yesterday, all I can say is, it is almost like a shock to your system, and you immediately, and I mean immediately, go straight in to survival mode. We saw that we had some wiggle room to get home. Had some errands we were running and we were very close to the house. We made it to our last stop and heard one of the security men saying to a customer, 'We will hear from the National Weather Service if we need to evacuate!' The skies on either side of us were seriously questionable, at best. People were pulling over to take pics. Not us!!! We stayed in the car and made a b-line for home as I was snapping away. The tornado warning sirens were blaring over the entire metro-Denver area. Denver International Airport was emptied to lower levels for shelter. Apparently, they train for this, because the Gal @ the airport who was being interviewed was very very calm, which was a good thing. We made it home without issue and I knew the best thing for me would be to cook, or make something to stay busy. We just finished our last batch of pesto from last summers' haul, and I have been stocking up on pistachios and parm, prepping for this years harvest. Again, there was time to go out on the deck and pluck a bunch of basil, also in the hope that we would not lose power. You just never know. So, in time, the funnel dissipated, the first batch of (to die for) pesto was made. A huge sigh of relief all around. The skies cleared, and, well enough for us to have a gorgeous sunset!! Today, a beautiful day, bright, sunny. Never a dull moment....
To our left...
The funnel to our right...oy
The basil, so gorgeous..
Amy's famous pesto...
Summer sunset after the storm...


'Out of the south comes the whirlwind, and cold out of the north..' Job 37:9

No comments: